--- SEARCH ---
Learning Chinese
Learn to Cook Chinese Dishes
Exchange Rates

Hot Links
China Development Gateway
Chinese Embassies

How to Bring Your Pets with You to Guangzhou?


I have a question. I will be moving to Guangzhou for a year period. I would like to bring my dog with me. I am trying to locate rules and regulations on getting a pet to Guangzhou. Can you help me with a website or contact. I have spent countless hours trying to locate a website that will provide this information. Thank you very much.

Rodney Brown
United States of America


Dear Rodney Brown,
Thank you for your interest in our website. It is possible to bring your pet dog or cat with you to China by entering through major cities such as Beijing, Shanghai or Guangzhou. As you mentioned Guangzhou, I will detail the regulations there, as there are a few differences between each city.
Pet dogs in Guangzhou can't exceed 60 cm in trunk length or 40 cm in height.
Before bringing your pet (dog or cat) to China, you need to have two certificates issued by your country's appropriate government office. One is your pet's heath guarantee certificate and the other is its rabies vaccination certificate. For these I suggest you ask the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) for advice, as both need its stamp of approval.
You may also need to get a (simplified) Chinese translation made of the above documents to help when you arrive. Your local Chinese embassy or consulate may be able to help.
You need to fill in the "quarantine declaration form on entry" and declare your pet as you go through Customs, and each passenger is only allowed to carry one pet.
Your pet will be quarantined at port for 30 days upon entry. Assuming all is well, a quarantine certificate will be issued for your pet after this.
Once you are in the city with your dog, you also need to get a license for it.
First, go to the Security Administration Division of Guangzhou Public Security Bureau to apply for an approval. With this, the quarantine certificate and two color photos of your dog, you then need to register at the Security Administration Division, get the license and pay for registration.
For the above formalities, I suggest you inquire at your local police station or public security bureau after arrival.
When you want to leave China with your pet, you need to declare quarantine to the quarantine authority at port 60 days before your departure. The authority will issue an animal health certificate based on the requirements of the country you are going to.
I hope the above information is helpful. You could try the following link for further details: Importing Pets to Shanghai (or China).

With best regards
The editor
(China.org.cn July 21, 2005)


How to Bring Your Pets with You to China?
Print This Page
Email This Page
About Us SiteMap Feedback
Copyright © China Internet Information Center. All Rights Reserved
E-mail: webmaster@china.org.cn Tel: 86-10-68326688